Preventing Moss Growth on UK Roof Tiles: A Comprehensive Guide by A.P. Benson Roofing & Building Limited
Let’s be honest – most of us don’t inspect our roofs as often as we should. Over time, moss can silently grow and accumulate on your roof tiles, causing structural damage, gutter blockages, and even drainage issues. Our guide will help you understand and prevent moss growth, keeping your roof in tip-top condition!
Why can Roof Moss be a problem?
Most roofs will experience moss or lichen growth, and small patches of growth are usually not a problem. If the moss growth is allowed to develop further, it can become a problem for the roof for a number of reasons:
– Moss acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture and resulting in your roof being constantly wet. This moisture can travel underneath the tiles and rot the wooden components of the roof, compromising structural integrity and leading to costly repairs.
– Moss can obstruct the path of the water on a pitched roof by absorbing the moisture instead of letting it drain away, thus negating one of the main benefits of the sloped angle on the roof.
– Moss can break off and clog gutters or downpipes, potentially leading to costly repairs if not addressed promptly.
– Roof moss can attract bird and insect life, negatively impacting the aesthetic value of your roof and potentially causing damage to gutters and downpipes.
How do I remove moss from my roof tiles?
To avoid expensive repairs, moss should be removed from your roof tiles promptly if it is covering a significant area of your roof.
A few options you have include:
– Gentle brushing, if the growth is not too severe. Try using a long handled brush, and be very careful.
– Moss killer is an obvious removal option, but be aware that these chemicals have the potential to contaminate the groundwater. Always use appropriate protective clothing if you have chosen to use chemicals.
– Roofing Specialists can assess your roof’s condition and the extent of the moss problem, and take action accordingly. Hiring a skilled and experienced roofing professional to remove the moss will maximise safety and minimise the risk of damaging your roof during removal.
However you decide to tackle the moss, be wary of the dangers of working on your roof. If in doubt, it’s always best to hire the services of a professional roofing company who can carry out the job safely and thoroughly.
A.P. Benson Roofing and Building have traded continuously since 1980, providing our clients in Farnham, Guildford, Haslemere, Chobham, Woking, Godalming and beyond with a high standard of roof repairs and maintenance across Surrey. Learn about our services here.
Your local roofers
For all your roofing needs in the Surrey area, call A.P. Benson Roofing & Building today on
01483760444 for your free quote or contact the team here.
With over 40 years of trading, we are fully equipped to deliver first-class services at all times. We are also BS EN- ISO 9001:2022 Quality Systems Registered and are a member of Constructionline & Guild of Master Craftsmen. Local Authority Approved for Roofing Building & Maintenance work, carrying full Public Liability Insurance. A full Health & Safety policy is in place, regularly reviewed.